Sunday, June 14, 2015

Eyeshadow, Eyeshadows, Eyeshadows (episode 2)

Have you ever found yourself at a crossroads in life?

You can choose to go down the safe, worn, well trodden path and continue your life of buying random eyeshadows that don't really go together but looked good in the plastic tester pan at the local pharmacy, or palettes that are thrown out after a few months because only 3 of the 10 colours are suitable, but nonetheless find yourself never questioning your eyeshadow purchasing habits and therefore remain in blissful ignorance.

Or, you choose the other path, the one that, despite the demons at the gates and seemingly overpriced cover charge, leads to embarking on a journey to eyeshadow heaven.

After 17 years of walking down the same path, I chose to look into those demons' beautifully and artistically made up eyes and pay the exorbitant entry fee to open the door to a wonderland of colour, texture, beauty, quality and, 99% of the time, no more bad or regrettable eyeshadow choices.

Now, I am not insinuating that M.A.C Sales Assistants are Crossroads Demons but, although they are always beautifully made up, they can look a little intimidating. This may rattle your cage a bit and cause you to second guess going down that path, sending you back down the other path to Clueslessville.  All I can say is, don't be afraid, let them guide you and, when you balk at the thought of paying over $20 for any eyeshadow, think of all the money you will save by purchasing what YOU want to sport on your lids because, if you match it dollar for dollar, I'm pretty sure you waste more money buying a whole eyeshadow palette for one colour you like. Remember when we used to buy an entire CD for two songs we liked and still forked out $30? Then iTunes came along and we were given the power of choice which virtually eradicated the money wasted on 18 of 20 songs on a CD that we didn't really like but listened to so that the $30 spent for one or two songs could be justified. This revelation was the catalyst in my forging ahead and opening the gates which took me down a road to eyeshadow paradise, with a little (big) detour via Obsessiontown.

Let's just say it didn't take me all that long to take the detour. Probably somewhere between making my first purchases at the M.A.C Pro Store on Chapel Street and the M.A.C counter at David Jones. On the same day. I would like to say that it was due to convenience, with Chadstone being almost on the way home, but realistically, I think I was on a high. A beautiful, shimmering, endorphin inducing high brought on by the imbibing of massive quantities of hues, finishes and sparkles of the eyeshadows laid out in perfect order at the M.A.C Pro Store. I was a woman on a mission with a DJs Gift Card just begging to be handed over in exchange for my new drug of choice.

It was at this point that I encountered a small problem. You see, most M.A.C counters in department stores only sell eyeshadows in individual pots, not just the little Pro pans which slot into the Pro Palette. So as not to deter me from my purchase, the helpful Sales Assistant (not demonic at all) advised me that I could google a way to pop the pan from the pot to fit it into my palette. Relief washed over me as I realised a measly pot could not deter me from my mission to fill every little spot in the palette. After carefully choosing my shades, I handed over the Gift Card, a few extra dollars (the individual pots are more expensive than the pans) and walked away with my chic little M.A.C carrier bag holding my new treasures and a Mission (not so) Impossible on my hands.

Once home, I googled a way to pop the eyeshadows from their pans and went ahead with my task. I am not at all going to take credit for the de-popping exercise, so I will direct you to this website for tips http://www.makeupaddict.org/maceyedepot.html and admit that I enlisted the assistance of my very handy husband to pluck the pearl from the oyster (he's French, they're good with those types of things). We didn't exactly use the same utensils as in the demonstration, in our case a blowtorch was involved, and I sat to the side and looked on with baited breath as my handy husband expertly freed my gems from their plastic holding cells and I was able to behold their exquisite beauty.

 Expensive Pink (Veluxe Pearl)

A bright and happy shade that reminds me of pink champagne, laced with gold. Hence the expensive!
 Naked Lunch (Frost)

Now this is really like the Pearl from the Oyster. It has a slightly pinkish hue and blends like a dream. I guess you could say that the colour is slightly naked but the lunch part... oh, hang on.. I think I just got it...





The only downside to this exercise is that the pans don't have little magnets to secure them in the Pro Palette. The upside - I had two plastic pots ready to go back to M.A.C!

You may think that my foray into the world of M.A.C eyeshadows ended here, I mean, I bought 5 in one day. That's crazy, isn't it? But the crazy didn't stop there. It got worse. Before I knew it I was a full blown eyeshadow addict, and I wasn't going to any support group to stop it.

Stay tuned for the bender to end all benders on my final trip towards Paradise.

xo AllisonWonderland



No comments:

Post a Comment